Firework Safety For Your Pets
Tips Before the Fireworks
- Make sure your pets ID tags, microchips and collar tags are current with correct information in case your pet gets scared and runs off.
- Ensure that your dog gets plenty of exercise during the day before all the excitement and fireworks start so they will have less nervous energy to expend in destructive ways.
Tips During the Fireworks
- Keep your pets indoors, lower blinds and close the windows so they won't be frightened by the noise and bright lights. Use ambient sounds to mask some of the noise such as a radio or the television.
- Provide a safe place for them to retreat such as their crate or bed and be sure to check on them every so often.
While outside, take these precautions:
- Keep your dog away from fire and small fireworks.
- Watch for garbage and bones that may have been dropped on the ground.
- Keep them cool. Make sure they have access to water.
- Be mindful of picnic food you have sitting out that may be a strong temptation for your pets.
New medications are available for noise aversion (fear of loud noises). Please ask us if you feel like your dog needs some help.